by Jonathan Crowell | Mar 9, 2013 | Archives, Archives Photos, History
In 1871, the University Barge Club joined forces with the Philadelphia Barge Club to construct a new boathouse. Originally, it was asymmetrical, neo-Gothic, two-bay structure of green serpentine stone, topped by a board and slate mansard roof. Each club had a separate...
by Jonathan Crowell | Mar 9, 2013 | Boathouse, Boathouse Row, History, Inside the Club, Regattas, Rowing, Schuykill River
Located at 7 Boathouse Row, the University Barge Club was founded in 1854 by ten members of the freshman class of the University of Pennsylvania. The boathouse was completed in 1871 and was renovated in 1893 to hold eight-man shells. When it was founded, UBC limited...